Monday, January 25, 2010

grapefruit anyone?

Since I came to live in Mesa, I have always wanted citrus trees, but have never had them. I was so excited to have some orange trees when we moved into this house. I thought there were three orange trees. The middle tree was just in bad shape and didn't produce any fruit last year. Just a few weeks ago I noticed big yellow grapefruits hanging on the tree! A grapefruit tree. I was so excited. I love grapefruits! I think that since I've been irrigating since I moved in the tree has had water and decided to produce this year. It is still a pretty ugly tree and needs some serious love, but on the backside of the tree are tons of grapefruit. Sofia will go out, pick a grapefruit and some oranges, come in and snack on them. How convenient! Now if I could only take care of the trees, but I have zero yard tools, zero citrus tree knowledge, and zero time.
I keep finding reasons to like Mesa...it is starting to grow on me. Citrus off the tree in the middle of winter is a huge bonus! dead in front, full of grapefruit on the side near the wall.

A palm tree that has just popped up among the trees.
YUMMMMY!



Couldn't leave out the oranges. They are also delish!




1 comment:

  1. Isn't citrus great? We had the same problem with our grapefruit tree... no body took care of it before, but this year we actually have a decent crop and hopefully next year it will be even better. I learned you fertilzie 3x/year (Valentines day, Memorial day and Labor day) and LOTS of water = great fruit:) Hope this helps. Love ya

    ReplyDelete